Thursday 16 March 2017

Student Village - Where I Live

I just want to share how incredible my hostel is. If you want me to list the reasons why I don't want to go back, Student Village will probably in the TOP 3.
View of student village block from sauna room.
Let's start with the location. It locates just next to the university area, and as you know their university don't really sticks to a compound, it scatters everywhere in the town and you could hardly tell is that a building for university or a shopping mall. Turku has three universities (as far as I know), University of Turku, Abo Akademi University and Novia University of Technology. These three kind of mix together and form a university area, then Student Village is just next to it. If walking to the building that I usually have class there, 20 minutes are more than enough. Student Village is quite big, i mean, really BIG. It has more than 60 buildings (I don't really count it) and divide into East part and West part, where my building located at West part, nearest to the university area and 12A is my building, and I love it so so much, I will explain later.
The map of Student Village, and the orange one is the block
Inside the Student Village, we have different kind of apartment to choose, some is for families where you can rent the whole house, some is double room, and mine is single room. There are a lot more, but I could not really differentiate them through the appearance, they looks alike from outside. Not to mention, there is a tall building looks much more like an office building than residence building, but it actually is an apartment... I really wish I could go in there and have a look what is the difference with mine.
This one looks so magnificent... like an office building haha
The yellow one is my block, and i live at the highest floor. The small extra floor top there is sauna room
In front of the entrance of the block, you can lock your bike here, My bike is the white one with basket, nearest to the door.

It also has a small convenient store named K-mini market which you can get most of your groceries and daily need product here, but the price is almost double if you compare to Lidl or S-market near the Kauppatori. I am glad they have it because when you first arrive, especially a timid one like me, will rather spend some money than go far away to a place where I have no confident not to get lost when coming back, also, if the snow was heavy and almost impossible to walk that far, this store will safe you.

K-market opens everyday from 10am to 10pm
Beside K-market is a student bar... where they sell cheap beers

Another service such as laundry, storage space, parking lot and sauna etc are provided, although not every block will have one, but they make it as fair as possible, such as if your block have sauna, then you won't have laundry and so on. Every block will have three floors, and each floor will have 12 rooms. For my floor, I know almost half of them, and the rest are just seldom meet, rather meet only once since I come here, or never meet. I just wonder do they really exist...

By the way, the reasons I like my block so much got two. First is the sauna. I could hardly describe how incredible the sauna is, it is just fantastic! The sauna located at the top of the building (which is just one floor above mine, perfect!), and only 10 blocks have that, and lucky that is my block!!! Hahahahaha.... I don't really care about laundry because I wash by hands... You have to book a time for your sauna, and you can only book four times per month. Here's the tips, you can book and invite your friends to come, so if you have four friends, that means you can go 16 times a month. Every session last for one hour and I feel that is great, Although I didn't bring any watch or clock inside, but every time I feel "that's it" it is almost one hour. The rest of the time you can take shower and relax. When you go upstairs, and open the door, you can see a lobby-like room, or you can say waiting room? There are hooks for you to hang your coats if you have one, and high stools and tables for you to dry your hair maybe. There is a mirror too, and it is quite spacious. I guess we can have a sauna party here and bring some liquor and dance there. Then there is a glass divider, and there is shower room, and an attached toilet with door (of course!). It is wide and spacious, almost like my room. And next to it is a glass door, and there is sauna. I feel like it can fit the whole floor inside and there will be some space left. The temperature does not really get too hot, so you can pour a lot of water inside the rock heater actually.
The door to sauna!

This is 'lobby' i could say... the place where you hang you coat or put you stuff on the table at left hand side. On the right hand is the door to shower room

This is the door to shower room

Inside the shower room is wide, but only got one shower head. Right hand side is toilet and in front is the door to sauna room.

It might looks small, but once you get in here, you will feel how big it is for a sauna room. 

The second reason why I like my block is... it is quiet!!!! This is so damn important when you live here, because they can have party until 4am and you won't be able to sleep before that if they have party at your floor. Luckily i don't have this problem because most of the parties at 10A, 3B or 3C, and 10A party I could say it is the most high frequent and craziest, two times get caught by security guard.

Then about my room. It has a small entrance to put my shoes and coats, and a toilet plus shower room, divided by a curtain. A fridge, cabinet, wardrobe, bed, table and chairs, book racks, mirror, table lamp and a heater. I feel like it is as big as the room one in UPSI hostel, and not to mention the room is for two. You just need to bring your own blanket and pillow here, but the previous resident left me a blanket. Every floor will have one common kitchen where you can cook or have party here! The kitchen is well-equipped with all the tools you need, two oven, one microwave, two electric stoves which can put 8 pots at a time, a toaster, a coffee maker, a lot of plates, spoon, knifes, forks, pots, pans, whisker, blender, wine glass, table and chairs, cabinet for each room and many more! Sometimes we even study in the kitchen...
This is what you will see when entering the kitchen

It is quite spacious for a kitchen in hostel


Now I want to say the little bit cons of living here, and it is hard to find one because it is so perfect for me. Still I manage to find two, if that consider as cons... First is the door. The door is so hard to open, and I still remember how panic I am when I was unable to open my door and I thought I will be stuck in my room forever. The door knob is so hard to twist, and every time my hand hurts after I try to open it. Now I know, I have to twist it and kick it at the same time to open that stupid door. Next is if you lost you key cards or left it in your room (we don't use key, we use cards just like hotel), you can get a temporary card for one week if it is working hour, but if it is off-working hour, you still can dial the 24/7 number, but they will charge you 58 euros for that. It is not worth at all, and most of us will choose to stay in friends' room for a night if next day is working day, or for three nights if you lost your card on Friday after working hour. God bless.
Don't lost the key cards. You need this to open three doors, the main door to enter the floor, your room, and the kitchen door

No comments:

Post a Comment